ITR 2A is an income tax return form for individuals and HUFs who have salary income and own more than one house property and do not have capital gains.
Who is eligible to file using the ITR 2A form?
This return form is to be used by an individual and HUF whose total income for an assessment year includes:-
- Income from House Property.
- Income from Other Sources (including winning from lottery and Income from race horses)
Further, in a case where the income of another person like spouse, minor child etc. is to club with the income of the assessee, this return form can be used where such income falls in any of the categories.
Who is not eligible to file using the ITR 2A form?
This return form should not be used by an individual and HUF whose total income for an assessment year includes:-
- Income from Capital Gains.
- Income from Business or Profession.
- Any claim of relief/deduction under section 90, 90A or 91.
- Any resident having any asset (including financial interest in any entity) located outside India or signing authority in any account located outside India.
- Any resident having income from any source outside India.
How to file ITR 2A Form?
You can submit your ITR 2A either online or offline. It is mandatory to file Income Tax Returns electronically for the following assesses:
- Those who earn more than ₹5 lakhs per year.
- Those seeking a refund.
- Those having any assets outside India (including financial interest in any entity) or signing authority in any account outside India.
- Those claiming DTAA relief.
- By furnishing a return in a physical paper form.
- By furnishing a bar-coded return.
The Income Tax Department will issue you an acknowledgement at the time of submission of your physical paper return.
- By furnishing the return electronically under digital signature.
- By transmitting the data electronically and then submitting the verification of the return in Return Form ITR-V
If you submit your ITR 2A Form electronically under digital signature, the acknowledgement will be sent to your registered email id. You can also choose to download it manually from the income tax website. You are then required to sign it and send it to the Income Tax Department’s CPC office in Bangalore within 120 days of e-filing.